Monday, February 10, 2014

Kimchee -- Making my own

I love kimchee so I looked up a recipe and I'm going to modify it and give it a go....


I love this brand that I get from Whole foods....

I have a half gallon glass jar....

I washed it out.

I cut up the Bokchoy (napa cabbage)

and brined it in a large glass bowl

This is left out overnight on the counter (covered with plastic wrap)


Next day....  I drained off and rinsed the cabbage....

 Then I added daikon, carrots, ginger, scallions

and some chilli powder (from the Asian market -- not chili from the supermarket)  different stuff.

 This looks like just dried pepper flakes.

My out of focus cut veggies

 Then I added the chilli (that's the spelling on the package)

Then added to the brined napa cabbage (bok choy) 

Into the jar...

For the first 24 hours it gets covered and stored in a cool dark place.

Then into the fridge. Now we wait (at least 48 hours but 2 weeks+ is better)

Let the fermentation begin.



No comments:

Post a Comment