Monday, October 14, 2013

Almond Butter -- store bought?

I know that I should make my own.  And perhaps one day I will -- Just not today!  It is just almonds in the cuisinart and a heck of a lot of time.

Almond butter can be pricey.  I use it in smoothies and for recipes mostly.  So when Costco started carrying it -- yipee.  Then about 2 weeks ago, I couldn't find it in the store.  I went on the website -- gone.  I spoke with one of the managers and she said she didn't think they were going to carry it any longer.   It was carrying the large for $7.99 -- in a glass jar.  How I mourned the loss of the almond butter.  I even found it at Walmart -- same brand.  But a small jar there was $6 (for about 1/2 the butter).

Yesterday, while getting my once (some times twice weekly) Costco fix -- I saw it.  Almond butter.  It's back! -- Sadly, it is in a plastic jar -- which I don't particularly care for -- but it is almond butter -- so I won't complain (too much) ;)  MaraNatha brand...



Here's a comparison with the old glass jar on the left.  It is hard to tell, but the glass jar seems a little larger (width wise) -- than it's plastic counterpart.  Both are the same amount of ounces.   I still like the glass jar better.

Now, there has been a lot of grumbling about Almonds and the fact that they use a lot of pesticides/ fungicides on them -- perhaps it is better to eat organic for almond butter.  MaraNatha HAS an organic version.  It is just a little harder to find.  I'm not sure why.

Perhaps this is my wake up call to "make my own".  -- Am I that lazy that I won't make it??  Only time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment