Friday, October 25, 2013

Got Bread?

I'm old enough to remember when bread was a slang for money.  There's no joke in that today.  With loaves of bread costing $5 and $6.  No, I'm not talking about the $1.99 white bread available at the local Walmart -- I'm talking about bread without chemical additives, fillers, extenders and whatever else that can pack into the oh so affordable, however, really not good for you variety.

Don't get me wrong, for years I loved Pepperidge Farm white bread.  At some point I noticed there was high fructose corn syrup in it -- For me, I might as well read the word "poison" on a label.  I see hfcs -- it goes back!  I have no interest in ingesting that stuff.  Severely saddened, I switched to Arnold (no hfcs) bread, but I realized something -- It's more than whether there's sugar or not -- white flour in general -- I needed to eat better.  I switch to whole wheat -- but even the whole wheat store bought bread isn't particularly good for you.

I went to the whole grain, organic and natural breads -- and the prices plumed.  From about $3 a loaf to about $6.  My husband always jokes, just pick the most expensive one, it's probably the best for you -- unfortunately, this is some times true.  I thought, I'll make my own bread, how hard could it be? -- I realize I should NEVER start off with that premise.

My first step was searching recipes.  I have the Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook -- so that's going to be a plus (right?).... I looked over a bunch of recipes...

Took out my "big guns" -- German loaf pan...



I settled on this one. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-basic-whole-wheat-sandwich-bread-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-167267.   I decided I'd improvise.  I hate honey -- I know nectar of the gods, blah, blah, blah.  I just don't like the taste.  Yes, I've tried orange blossom and every other type known to man and no I haven't found one I like.

So, I added molasses.  Hopefully that won't "do anything" to the recipe.

Then I had some add ins.  (organic -- oats, flax seeds ground, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds).

(if you are wondering about the weird jars -- I buy in bulk and I reuse my glass jars.)

Threw everything into the mixer.



With the dough hook in place, I let it rip.


Once the machine did its work.....


I covered with damp clean cloth and placed in a warm place to rise.




As I am penning this, the dough is rising.


The texture was perfect (got lucky) -- not too dense.


No comments:

Post a Comment