Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What the hay? Or maybe -- the Green, green grass of home

Yep, if you recognize that as a song lyric -- you're old (as I am)  ;)  Had a milestone birthday this week.

Well, this is my foray into grass.... wheat grass --- although I have nothing against marijuana -- medicinal or otherwise.

So, when I went to my sprouts class a couple weeks back, one of the topics was wheat grass.  I find it intriguing -- the supposed benefits.

I know people get "wheat grass shots" in smoothies, etc.  I just was never one of them.

Well, my prospective has changed.  I don't want to wait for a "health event" to start my wheat grass regiment.


This is my wheat grass juicer.  Much to my surprise there's an art to this.  Single auger, non-metal -- juicer thingie.


grass goes in on the top.  It (the juicer) is "attached" to the counter.  You crank the handle (it's a manual one).
Extruded from the end is the "pulp" the waste once the juice is extracted.  I joked to my husband that we should braid it and make ropes.

It takes a bit of grass to get the 2 ounces recommended for drinking



that's the first tablespoon of juice.  It is SUPER green.  It smells like a freshly mowed lawn.  It is sweeter than I expected.  Everyone says it is bitter.  I'm very sensitive to bitter and didn't find it bitter.


Here's the rope that is left behind once the 4 ounces (2 for me 2 for the hubby) were extracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment