Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Beef.... Yes, I do eat beef

I eat beef, although I try to only eat grass fed, organic (no hormone) beef.  A couple "problems" with doing this.  1. It's somewhat hard to find, although my local supermarket is carrying some 2. Being accustomed to corn fed beef -- grass fed is tougher 3. Price -- whenever you see a great sale on beef, it is almost NEVER on grass fed beef.

I think there are way too many hormones in beef, so I try to stay away from anything not organic.  It is easy to get carried away with the grass fed part of it and other labeling such as natural -- if it doesn't say organic it's probably got hormones in it.  If the hormones make the animal gain weight faster -- what does it do to people (nothing -- according to the FDA).  I think the jury is still out on that.

I like to use the crockpot on grass fed beef (my insurance policy for tender beef) -- except for the tenderloin -- tender as ever -- Happens to be $30+ a pound...  We don't have it often.

This was flank steak.  I cut it in cubes, but I could have left it whole.

The second batch of beef being browned in a regular skillet.


I remove it from the pan as soon as it is browned and put it in the crock pot.


I put carrots and shallots in the same pan


Added some grape tomatoes

put the sauted mixture into the cuisinart

I pulse it for a couple seconds.  


It goes back in the pan and gets "browned".

I add cheap red wine...  I don't buy cooking wine, I just use something cheap...




Here it is in it's stew like glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment